The windmill on Bidston Hill is mentioned in an early manuscript dated 1609 and may have been there as early as 1596. It is next mentioned in the Kingston map of 1665 .
The mill of 1665 was a “peg mill”. It was destroyed in 1791 during a gale. In the high winds, the sails revolved so fast that the friction caused the machinery to ignite!